Autumn time, red leaves fall while the weeping sky looks overall.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Candle in the Dark

Is it really better to light a candle than curse the darkness?
It seems most of us live in a world where we accept, at least on some level, the polarity of light representing what is good and positive and dark representing what is bad or negative. My "dark side," my "shadows" are negative aspects of my personality that I'm forever trying to eradicate in some way. In the past I've described myself and others as "lightworkers" -- meaning those who dedicate themselves to a higher awareness. Besides the fact that the concept stinks of racism, the whole idea of good versus evil is growing thin for me. Like the-veil-at-Samhain thin.

And is it really so bad to sit in the darkness for a while?

Of course I'm not implying that it might be alright to harm others or ourselves in any way -- actions we might consider "dark." But if I'm mad, sad, filled with grief, depressed, broken, sick, exhausted disgusted, envious or bitchy I think it's alright -- no, more than alright -- I think it's healthy to just sit in that darkness for a while, feel it, breath it in, wallow in it if I need to. Experience it.

Because lighting a candle in the dark keeps me from ever fully knowing the dark. Because lighting a candle in the dark creates yet another shadow.

Balance, yes balance. I am always striving for balance because that's what the natural world, my place of worship, teaches me to do. Maybe the dark places should have a "No Loitering" sign, a meter that can't be reset. Do your work, get out. Because to live in darkness all the time isn't balance, and neither is it balanced to live only in the light.

Day and night, spring and fall, summer and winter, equinox to solstice and again and again. Darkness is natural and necessary to all living things. Even children are told there is nothing to fear in the dark.







No comments:

Post a Comment