Autumn time, red leaves fall while the weeping sky looks overall.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday Feature: Writer, June Beck

I'm pleased to feature my long-time friend and writing warrioress June Beck for the debut of "Friday Feature." June and I co-founded the Off-Highway writers' group of which we are basically the only two members, but we're happy with that. I admire her for many reasons and one of them is her recent drive to follow her passion for yoga and become a yoga teacher. She specializes in "non-pretzel" yoga and I encourage you to check out her entertaining and informative blog, Yoga for Geezers.

Her recently published book, How to Build Your Own Boat: A Spiritual Workbook is a mixture of personal memoir and "how to" instruction on finding your spiritual path. It reads like a candid conversation with an old friend, and you can purchase it here.

What first inspired you to write How to Build Your Own Boat?

I wanted to explore my own spiritual inklings and create my own path. It’s impossible to find a spiritual path that works for agnostics but I’m interested in what cannot be seen or measured, too! Problem is, the scholar in me refuses to take much on faith. I needed a path that would combine the practical Buddhist shamatha meditation, Tonglen, and the 8 limbs of yoga, my progressive political ideals with adherence to universal ethical standards. Clearly, I needed to build my own boat. Since I was sure there were others who wanted the same and would benefit from my effort, I decided to write a workbook.

 
You call yourself a “household yogi” what does that mean?

Yogis denounce stuff – like meat, sex and family. We often imagine a yogi as someone whose life is solely devoted to yoga, someone capable of contorting into the full expression of every pose quite easily after having practiced asanas (poses) since the age of 2. While I did start practicing yoga at a young age – 18 – I’ve studied with no guru and denounce nothing, unless you count cigarettes and alcohol. Traditionally, yogis don’t have jobs or families. I have both yet remain devoted to practicing the 8 limbs of yoga. That makes me a “householder” yogi.


When I read How to Build Your Own Boat I enjoyed the way you shared the internal conversations you were having in your head. How did you come to decide to write in that format?

I was writing a spiritual memoir as inspiration and example to help readers know how to complete the workbook, so I wrote in journalese, if you will. As my purpose was to discover my own path, build my own boat, the process was a genuine journaling endeavor – I exposed my thought process in order to make it easier for readers to expose their own.


What do you hope readers will gain from reading your book?

We can know nothing about the spiritual world, but so many for so long have been making it up. Why not make it up as an individual? Why not create a spiritual path, a boat to help navigate the treacherous and calm waters life presents? I hope readers gain insight from reflecting on their past. I hope they find themselves empowered by the process of choosing what works and doesn’t work for them as individuals. I hope they create a more meaningful future as they traverse in this boat of their own making. And, more personally, I hope people know me as an agnostic who is also a spiritual seeker – One who recognizes the human capacity for great compassion, loving-kindness, fairness, and reason. I want readers to know that we don’t have to belong to a church, synagogue, mosque, circle or sangha. We don’t need to conform to anyone else’s beliefs in order to be clear about our own.


Is there anything else you’d like to say about the content or process of manifesting How to Build Your Own Boat?

I love to write but had no idea the joy that would come upon hearing a reader talk about what s/he has realized in the process of reading my work. This Indie Pub thing – I’m learning as I go how challenging it is to turn out a polished product without the support of a publishing house complete with editorial team. Being able to share my work with readers makes independent publishing worthwhile. 
 

---
If you've written a spiritually uplifting book from a non-traditional perspective or know someone who has and would like to be featured on Your Witchy Grandma please visit my blog and leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment