Autumn time, red leaves fall while the weeping sky looks overall.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Climate Change




Winter Goddess
According to my altar, it's still winter. Midwinter, yes, but still winter. And I'm feeling grouchy over people complaining about weather that's perfectly normal for winter.

Of course here in the paradise of California's central coast those complaints are mostly limited to temperatures that drop below 60 degrees or another gray rainy day. I understand the longing for spring's blue skies and predictable warm afternoons. The garden beckons me too. Barely finished with winter pruning chores I'm already window shopping for bright annuals that might survive the deer. My "Secret Garden" board on Pinterest is filled with project ideas, and I've found an online source for unusual salvias I can't wait to order from.

So I really do empathize.

But I love the in-between times and am in no rush. Since following the traditions of witchcraft I've developed an appreciation for the subtle shifts that happen between the seasons, between the worlds, between realism and surrealism. And I wonder if the reason so many people "Can't wait for spring/summer/fall/winter" to begin or end is because our culture, our mainstream culture, has familiarized us with polarities. We like black or white. We like straight or gay, sick or healthy, us or them, happy or depressed. Love or hate. We don't always know how to cope with those degrees that fall in between.

If I allow for a middle ground it's harder to defend my position as RIGHT and yours as WRONG.

But back to the weather. Spring is coming. Flowers and hope and renewal are on their way. Let's enjoy them as they come each in their own time. And let's enjoy the unpredictable mid-winter weather that brings rain and hail and gray that lasts until the black takes over and skies so blue you long to sprout wings.

Blessed Be

 

No comments:

Post a Comment