Autumn time, red leaves fall while the weeping sky looks overall.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Blessed Imbolc

Tomorrow, February 2 is Imbolc, my favorite holy day on the Wheel of the Year. Well, they're all my favorites but Imbolc does hold special meaning to me. Many years ago I learned about the Celtic Goddess Brighid, goddess of fire, water, writing and healing. Brighid is the goddess most typically honored at Imbolc. I related to her as a mentor. I wanted to be a writer, I wanted to study herbal healing, astrologically speaking I'm a triple fire sign and water, well, I changed my whole life to be near the ocean; the element that had called to my soul since I was a child visiting my California relatives.

Imbolc is the time many Pagan folks dedicate or rededicate themselves to their path, spiritual, professional and otherwise. The symbol that best represents this day for me is the early crocus pushing its way out of the snow-covered ground. Imbolc is a cross-quarter day. Winter is waning but it's not yet spring. Imbolc is the hope of spring, the promise that rebirth is coming. The quickening.

I'm gathering with a few of my sisters this Imbolc to join in a cleansing ritual to prepare for the coming rebirth. It's a ritual my first teacher, Morgan, shared with me though I don't remember that we performed it specifically for Imbolc. I want to share it with you because it's a beautiful, meditative ritual to participate in alone or with a group. We'll be gathering at the beach because the ocean is the sacred body of water closest to us, but any well, creek or lake that calls to you would be just fine with Brighid.

Imbolc Cleansing Ritual:

Go to a body of water. Bring with you a gift to offer Brighid, something that is safe to leave in the natural environment. Also bring a towel and perhaps a change of clothes. The spirit might move you to get very wet, but it's not required.

Cleanse and ground. Holding your offering, meditate on the things you'd like to be cleansed of this Imbolc, the energies or habits you don't want to carry into the coming spring. Let the gift become the symbol of all those unwanted things. When you're ready toss the item into the water. Ask Brighid to receive your gift and transform it into something positive and useful. Perform a personal cleansing by dripping a few drops of water on your chakras or washing your hand and feet or diving right in and going for a swim -- whatever action calls to you! Just remember to be safe.

When you've completed your cleansing walk along the shore or bank in a state of receptivity. Brighid may send you a gift such as a special stone or feather or a message whispered in your ear. Once you've received your gift give thanks to the Goddess and to the elements.

Blessed Imbolc


PS: No, I haven't forgotten about your Tarot readings! I do apologize that it's taken me so long. More people were interested than I anticipated and at the same time I got a big writing assignment that's kept me busy. I'm actually going to to my best to complete the promised readings tomorrow on Imbolc. Divine timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment